Your basket is currently empty!
Plant and Product Sourcing
The majority of our plant suppliers are UK based, many of these are local to Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, and Essex. Sometimes it is more environmentally friendly to grow plants abroad rather than in a hot house in the UK. For imported stock, a plant passport is always obtained so we can guarantee authenticity.
This is an area close to our hearts. We recycle around 95% of our waste and the rest is taken for power generation.
- Our dry mixed recycling is collected
- We have a compactor on site to crush our plant pots and trays
- Builders ton bags and pallet bags are compacted and recycled
- All our food waste is taken for composting
- Our cooking oil is taken away and turned into biofuel
- We have a 40-yard wood skip on site for all used timber
- Any concrete waste is crushed and reused
- Topsoil is screeded and reused on site
- Green waste is turned into compost
We are working closely with Wild About Redbourn – a local initiative to help encourage more wildlife in our gardens and local areas. We have invited a local Brownie group to build a bug hotel at The Hertfordshire Garden Centre.
The Hertfordshire Garden Centre does not feed the main sewage system – we have our own sewage treatment plant. The drainage system from the café has a 2-stage fat trap to ensure fat is not disposed of in the incorrect manner.
Our site is surrounded by hedging suitable for wildlife nesting. This also helps reduce noise to neighbouring areas. We plant trees around the area to encourage birds to nest and have an active wildlife mound that we monitor regularly.
All timber that we sell is FSC certified.